Saturday, February 3, 2007

Why "Dry Bones"?

Anyone familiar with Ezekiel's prophecies knows about his vision of the valley of dry bones (see Ezekiel 37 if you've forgotten). A few weeks back, I re-read that vision and saw it from a new perspective. I saw a parallel between that vision and the Day of Pentecost. Not that Ezekiel's vision foretells Pentecost, only that it mirrors what happened later: People gathered together, life poured into them through the breath of God, and a vast army formed--the New Testament church.

So what are we formed for? Culture wars, or revolutionary movements, or political change? For mega-churches and Bible studies and "taking the land for God"? For the GOP or the New Left or--well, what (and for whom)? Here in the "Valley of Dry Bones," just what are we supposed to DO? How should we look at the world, and each other? How should we think and pass our time?

We dry bones have been put together, joint into socket and muscle upon muscle, as warriors who live a common life and answer a common call. We are to be like Christ in every way, showing as a body the fullness of Him Who has called us into His Kingdom. Which means that we come together, learn what Christ-likeness means in our time, and put His Kingdom over every other allegiance we have--class, politics, race, nation. I'm not talking about simply finding common ground with one another. I'm talking about living out the basic mission of each Christian. What's essential? What matters? What's the heart of what we are?

That's pretty ambitious, but some ambitions are worth giving all for. This is worth the frustration of listening to each other and letting our golden calves get crushed into powder. So, this little blog will be my 2 cents' worth on the issue. Welcome to the Valley.

1 comment:

Hagiasmos said...

Hey Robert!
You would be proud to know that this is my 1st blog. (Even had to sign up with Google.) But of course I wanted to hear you ramble on and on... Just kidding. I couldn't hear you anyway, you're actually going to make me read it - shame on you.

About the the subject "Dry Bones" this is dear to my heart. Sadly (in my oppinion) the Church is loosing its life. We have forgotten our purpose, we've abandoned the pursuit of holiness that preceeded our "Pentecost" and far to often have become trapped in a rut of programs. Instead of looking to God for our marching orders we look to "proven success methods", our modern day "golden calves".

I know that this is not true of everyone, I pray that it would never be true of me but the church needs a modern "Ezekiel" to speak to the dry bones.

May your blog be such a message